Nurturing Your Baby: Breastfeeding & Lactation
At Maimonides, we are here to help educate you and your family on the best ways to ensure your baby is strong and healthy. We deliver more than 8000 babies a year and have taught thousands of families about the importance of breastfeeding for a child's development. A Lactation Consultant is also available in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit to extend support and guidance.
Extensive research has shown that breast milk is best for babies, mothers, society and the environment. Breast milk contains the vitamins and nutrients babies need in the first six months of life and beyond. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies be breastfed exclusively for the first six months of life, then introducing solids and continuing breastfeeding for at least a year or longer. The benefits of breastfeeding extend way beyond basic nutrition.
Benefits of Breastfeeding to the Baby:
- Protects against infection and allergy
- Lowers incidence of SIDS
- Lowers risk of childhood diabetes, cancer and ear infections
- Decreases the incidence of orthodontic and dental problems
- Enhances psychomotor, emotional and social development
- Enhances vaccine response
- There is an association with higher intelligence
Benefits of Breastfeeding to the Mother:
- Prevents postpartum hemorrhage with the help of oxytocin
- Earlier return to pre-pregnant weight
- Menses are delayed
- Lowers risk of breast and ovarian cancer in pre-menopausal women
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis
- Enhances emotional bonding
- No shortage of supplies
- Workload of infant feeding is reduced
Other Benefits of Breastfeeding:
- Convenient and cost effective herefore
- No preparation needed
- Health costs reduced
- Less incidence of employee absenteeism
- Breast milk is good for the environment (needs no extra packaging, no bottles, and uses less natural resources such as glass, plastic, metal, paper.)
Breastfeeding & Lactation Classes at Maimonides
We offer individual breastfeeding support on the post-partum floor as well as breastfeeding classes. Our classes teach you important breastfeeding skills, such as: positioning, latch-on techniques, normal newborn behavior, and more.
Maimonides is proud to participate in "Latch on NYC" -- a city-wide initiative of the NYC Department of Health, aimed at supporting breastfeeding mothers. The goal of this program is to improve the health of mothers and children by increasing breastfeeding initiation, duration and exclusive breastfeeding. As a part of this initiative Maimonides no longer distributes formula discharge packs, literature on formula or other products that promote formula.
Schedule is open to change. Class is announced in the morning.
We offer a breast feeding guide to new moms in many languages.