Navigation Search

Medical Education

International Medical Graduates

Every Foreign Medical School Graduate must possess a valid ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) certificate.  If you do not have one, contact the ECFMG, for an application.  Any ECFMG certificate obtained after June 14, 2004 is considered valid indefinitely. Certificates issued prior to June 14, 2004 require a permanent validation sticker. If you need to request permanent revalidation, please use the 246-I  form available on the ECFMG website.  

To be hired as a Resident at Maimonides Medical Center, you must fall into one of the following categories: 

  • U.S. Citizen (born or naturalized)
  • Permanent Resident/Resident Alien
  • J-1 Visa Holder
  • H1 B Visa Holder
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD only acceptable for New Hires who graduate a US medical School and plan on applying for an H1B/J1 within the first few months of training-  The hiring department must approve and a contract will be signed to confirm the change in status)
  • We DO NOT accept dependent visas- H1B- or J2- EAD.  Every new hire should maintain their own valid working visa.

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you must apply for a valid working visa.  We accept H1-B and J1 visas.  Please see below for further information regarding visas.



H1B Visa Information:

You must have passed all three steps of the USMLE by Match Date to apply for an H1B visa. The normal processing time for an H1B visa is 4 to 8 weeks. There is a $1000 premium processing fee if you do not apply by mid-April.
J-1 Visa Information: 

Please go to the web site for further details on how to apply and official requirements to be eligible:

ECFMG has recently rolled out an online application system.  As of 1/2012, all applicants must apply for their J1 through EVNET. You do not need USMLE step 3 to apply for a J1 Visa.