Expectations & Requirements
Externs are required to have a Master’s degree by the start of their externship. They are expected to be able to conduct therapy sessions, and to be able to administer the basic psychological tests that would be included in a comprehensive battery, e.g. the Wechsler Series; projective evaluations including the Exner scored Rorschach; and personality assessment scales. Instruction is provided when other forms of testing are required.
While the requirements are different for our Child/Adolescent Externship and our Wellness Recovery Program Externship, our general guidelines are as follows.
Our externs are expected to be present at the hospital for 16 hours spread over 2 days. Externship starts the first Monday after Labor Day, and ends approximately June 30. Extern didactics take place on Fridays; therefore, Fridays are a required day for externs. Externs are expected to:
- Submit a letter from the university internship director signifying the readiness of the candidate to begin an externship year
- Provide by email:
- 2 letters of recommendation
- transcript (does not have to be official)
- curriculum vitae
- cover letter stating preferred rotation and indicating that you will have obtained your Master's degree by the beginning of the externship year
Once accepted, externs must provide the following information:
- Obtain malpractice insurance from their respective schools as per university guidelines
- Submit a physical and proof of PPD, as Maimonides Medical Center will not be able to perform in-house examinations.
Please note that externs currently in our service must wait at least one year after externship completion to apply for an internship at Maimonides.
Interviews will be arranged by e-mail, according to the dates set by the PSYDNY guidelines for scheduling interviews and notification of applicants.