Expectations & Requirements
Externs are required to have a Masters degree by the start of their externship. They are expected to be able to conduct therapy sessions, and to be able to administer the basic psychological tests that would be included in a comprehensive battery, e.g. the Wechsler Series; projective evaluations including the Exner scored Rorschach; and personality assessment scales. Instruction is provided when other forms of testing are required.
Our externs are expected to be present at the hospital for 16 hours spread over 2 days. Externship starts the first Monday after Labor Day, and ends approximately June 1. Externs are expected to:
- Submit a letter from the university internship director signifying the readiness of the candidate to begin an externship year
- Provide by mail or by email:
- 2 letters of recommendation
- transcript (does not have to be official)
- curriculum vitae
- cover letter stating preferred rotation
- Obtain a master's degree by the beginning of their externship year
Once accepted, externs must provide the following information:
- Obtain malpractice insurance from their respective schools as per university guidelines
- Submit a physical and proof of PPD, as Maimonides Medical Center will not be able to perform in-house examinations.
Please note that externs currently in our service must wait at least one year after externship completion to apply for an internship at Maimonides.
Interviews will be arranged by phone or e-mail. We follow PSYDNY guidelines for scheduling interviews and notification of applicants.