The Maimonides Midwifery Service began twelve years ago in 1993, started by Phyllis Lynn, to serve the women of Borough Park. The focus of the nurse-midwives, then and now, is to attend to the needs of the soon-to-be mom and the family, for physical care, and emotional and social support, according to cultural values and personal preferences. The practice of midwifery encourages continuity of care; emphasizes safe, competent clinical management; advocates for non-intervention in normal processes; and promotes health education for women.
Over the decade, our service has grown in scope and diversity:
- We serve a multi-ethnic patient population, including Latino, Pakistani, Jewish, Russian, Chinese, African-American, Italian, Indian and Caribbean families.
- Our service has 12 certified midwives, comprised of senior midwives and recent graduates, who are members of the American College of Nurse-Midwives and possess admitting privileges at Maimonides Medical Center.
- The midwifery service provides pregnancy, gynecological and family planning at four offices located in Boro Park, Ditmas Park and Sunset Park. We see patients in private, family health center and hospital clinic settings.
- We have delivered over 5,000 babies with excellent outcomes. We provide 24-hour coverage of the labor and delivery area. We are available 24 hours/7 days a week for our patients' needs.
- Our midwives are committed to providing educational information to our community on a wide range of women’s healthcare issues: antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum/newborn, well-woman gynecology and family planning. We also provide information on nutrition, exercise, alternative and complimentary therapies.
- The midwifery service played a pivotal role in the formation of the voluntary doula program. Doulas are available in labor and delivery to assist women during childbirth.
- Maimonides issues admitting privileges to private practice midwives, as well as to those on our staff of nurse-midwives. This allows midwives who practice home birth and birthing center settings to confidently care for women with the knowledge that Maimonides experts are available anytime for them to consult with or to refer to.
- Many of our staff midwives are clinical adjunct instructors for Columbia University, New York University and SUNY Downstate. Our program continues to participate in the training of student midwives through our clinical preceptorships.
We participate with most insurance companies. We will also assist those who are uninsured to obtain insurance if they qualify.
If you are contemplating/considering midwifery care, we would be happy to assist you. Please call (718) 283-6813.