Ophthalmology/Eye Care in Brooklyn
The Maimonides Eye Institute is a state-of-the-art facility that provides routine checkups for adults and children, as well as specialty care. If a vision problem is suspected or detected, the Institute is equipped with the latest technology to diagnose and treat all types of ophthalmologic problems.
The Institute’s founder and director, Norman Saffra, MD, FACS has assembled a highly talented and compassionate team of ophthalmic surgeons and diagnosticians, who are committed to quality patient care. Our physicians are trained in the latest methods of laser surgery and microsurgery. Committed to excellence, they assess each patient’s needs and use the most sophisticated diagnostic tools available.
Conditions we treat
In addition primary eye care, we treat a wide variety of eye problems, including:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Disease of the retina
- Macular degeneration
- Retinal tears & detachment
- Pediatric eye problems, crossed eyes (strabismus), lazy eye (amblyopia), and congenital problems
- Neuro-ophthalmological problems (disorders of the eye and brain)
- Traumatic injuries
- Eyelid & orbital (facial bone) problems
- Cornea problems such as dry eyes, corneal transplants & keratoconus
The Eye Institute also provides
- Laser vision correction
- Cosmetic and reconstructive eyelid surgery
- In-office laser surgery for a variety of diseases
- Onsite optical dispensary with wide selection of eyeglass frames and lenses that also provides fitting of contact lenses for children and adults
- Wide selection of low-vision devices for patients who are visually disabled
The Eye Institute, in conjunction with the Medical Center's community outreach activities, provides education on eye-related topics in our neighborhood. Through participation in the borough-wide vision-screening programs, Dr. Saffra and his staff have conducted pediatric and adult screenings for amblyopia, strabismus, cataracts and glaucoma.
The Eye Institute's commitment to the youngest members of our community can be seen at our Pediatric Eye Center. This 1600 square foot facility is outfitted with state-of-the-art equipment for diagnosis and management of pediatric eye disorders such as cross eyes, strabismus, lazy eye, and amblyopia.
The center is open Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m. and located at 4901 9th Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11219.
Clinical Studies / Research
The Eye Institute is at the forefront of advancing medical science by pursuing research into diseases and participates in clinical trials, including therapy for dry eyes, retinal diseases and glaucoma. Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about our current research efforts.