Image Guided Medicine
Vascular and Interventional Radiology is a modern medical sub-specialty which utilizes state of the art technology to treat a multitude of medical conditions via tiny incisions in the skin.
These interventions are guided by imaging modalities including fluoroscopy, computer tomography, and ultrasonography. Such guidance ensures precision in targeting treatment, while minimizing collateral damage to the surrounding tissues. This minimally invasive approach allows Maimonides physicians to perform complicated procedures without open surgical incisions, resulting in reduced complication rate and shortening recovery.
Maimonides interventional radiologists are board-certified physicians who have undergone advanced specialization in minimally invasive, targeted treatments as well as diagnostic radiology training.
The Division of Interventional Radiology at Maimonides Medical Center is dedicated to providing you with the best minimally invasive image guided care. Our collaborative inter-disciplinary approach ensures that you have access to the best treatment options for your individual needs.
We actively welcome your loved ones to participate in your care so that you receive the best support to combat your illness and optimize recovery. Our physicians are available for telephone consultations with you and your referring physician at any time. As a true Brooklyn facility, we speak many languages including Russian, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew, Mandarin, and more.
You can make an appointment with us even if you do not have a primary care or specialty physician. However, please note that some insurance plans require a referral from your regular doctor. Check your plan to see if you need a referral. If you are not under care of any primary care or specialty physician we will be happy to refer you to an appropriate practitioner.
The division of Interventional Radiology offers a full range of minimally invasive image guided therapies. Some of the areas we treat include:
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Pelvic pain due to pelvic congestion syndrome
- Treatment of varicose veins and venous insufficiency
- Fallopian tube recanalization
- Minimally invasive management of pelvic inflammatory disease
- Targeted image guided cancer therapies
- Radiofrequency tumor ablation
- Cryoablation of tumors
- Microwave tumor ablation
- Endovascular and cosmetic treatment of enlarged and varicose veins in legs
- Endovascular management of leg edema due to venous insufficiency
- Management of deep and superficial venous thrombosis
- Inferior vena cava filter placement
- Endovascular treatment of peripheral arterial insufficiency
- Endovascular treatment of abdominal and pelvic arterial disease
- Transcatheter treatment of renovascular hypertension
- Spinal biopsies