Women in Science Program
The Women in Science Program at Maimonides Medical Center is led by Donna-Marie Manasseh, MD, Director of the Maimonides Breast Cancer Program, and Dr. Rebecca Rhee, Chief of Colon and Rectal Surgery. The program provides a unique opportunity for qualified female applicants to intern in the hospital under the guidance of an assigned physician and experience life as a surgeon.
The internship will take place from Monday, July 6 to Friday, July 31, 2020. The participants will be involved in a wide array of scientific and medical experiences, including research, viewing a surgery, assisting at a medical office, and working with an assigned mentor. This experience will help the students understand about a career in medicine and science. The program encourages high school students to work diligently in order to achieve their goal of becoming doctors and scientists in the future.
The program’s objective is to inspire young women by providing a hands-on learning experience, during which the students will
- be paired with a mentor, who will provide one-on-one guidance to the students;
- be assigned their own research projects, leading to a presentation upon completion of the program;
- assist surgeons in an outpatient setting, learning more about the direct patient experience;
- join surgeons in the operating room to view firsthand the process of surgery;
- use the simulation equipment to “operate” on a patient;
- join resident-led lectures and discussions;
- read and discuss articles written by female surgeons and about female surgeons.
The program’s curriculum will improve young women’s confidence in their abilities in the fields of medicine and science, and provide their first exposure to patient care, surgery, research, and medicine.
Only the most motivated students will be accepted into the program. The initial application process includes an essay and an interview.
- Students must identify as female.
- Students must be entering their senior year in high school in the Fall of 2020.
- Essay quality will be a major factor in admission to the program. It is strongly suggested that you proofread your essay for proper grammar prior to submission.
- Women in Science Application deadline is February 28, 2020. No applications for Summer 2020 will be accepted after this date. Please submit your applications in advance.
- The interviews will take place on March 16, 2020, at 3:15 p.m. Applicants chosen for the interview will be notified by email and must be available at that time. There will be no make-up time for the interviews.
- Decisions will be rendered by the end of March.
- The application and essay should be submitted as an attachment to both Alla Zats at email@example.com and Viktoriya Furina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The parental waiver form must be submitted along with the application and essay.
- Women in Science participants must be available for the duration of the program without any exceptions. No vacation or summer classes are allowed at that time.
After initial acceptance to the Women in Science program, all candidates must also complete the application process with the Department of Volunteer and Student Services by April 24, which includes:
- Completing a volunteer application (including Parent Permission and School Evaluation forms)
- Submitting a medical packet completed by a private physician (annual physical, PPD within 6 months, and an official lab report for measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella immune titers)
- Completing online CITI research training
- Personal interview in the Volunteer office
- Attending a mandatory orientation on Monday, June 29, 2020, 9:30 am – 1:30 pm
Students who fail to submit the required documents to the Volunteer office and schedule an interview by April 24 will not be able to participate in the program.
To learn more about Dr. Donna-Marie Manasseh, please visit https://www.maimonidesmed.org/find-a-doctor/find-a-doctor/donna%20marie-manasseh
To learn more about Dr. Rebecca Rhee, please visit https://www.maimonidesmed.org/find-a-doctor/find-a-doctor/rebecca-rhee
For more information, please call the Volunteer office at (718) 283-3980.
Application Form | Parent Release Form