Maimonides Prostate Center
If you have prostate cancer or another prostate problem, you want a fast diagnosis and the right treatment plan. The Maimonides Prostate Center offers the latest diagnostic technology and therapies. Our experts listen to your concerns and customize a treatment that’s effective for your unique situation.
What Is Prostate Cancer?
The prostate sits below the bladder and is part of the male reproductive system. This small gland produces fluid that mixes with semen during ejaculation.
Sometimes cells in the prostate become cancerous. When caught early and limited to the gland, prostate cancer is highly treatable. Occasionally, the disease spreads outside the prostate to bones, lymph nodes, lungs and other parts of the body. If that happens, doctors can still offer a number of effective treatment options.
Maimonides Prostate Center: Why Choose Us?
The new Maimonides Prostate Center is the only full-service prostate center in Brooklyn. You have access to doctors who trained at some of the country’s most renowned hospitals. Our experts are known for achieving great results that preserve quality of life.
At Maimonides Medical Center, you benefit from:
- Breakthrough treatments: We were the first medical center in the eastern United States offering Focal One® high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). With this device, our doctors can treat just the cancerous part of the prostate, sparing the rest of the gland. We were also the first in Brooklyn to inject a form of radiation therapy called Xofigo® for late-stage prostate cancer. Learn more about prostate cancer treatments at Maimonides.
- Leading diagnostic services: Our imaging specialists use MRI and ultrasound to locate and evaluate tumors often missed by traditional methods. We’re also a leader in combining positron emission tomography (PET) and computerized tomography (CT) scans to check for the return of cancer. Find out more about prostate cancer symptoms and diagnosis.
- Comprehensive care: We make it easy for you to get all of your tests and treatments in one central location. For your convenience, we get you in to see multiple doctors in the same day. When appropriate, we partner with specialists at Maimonides Pelvic Floor Center and fertility specialists to meet all of your healthcare needs. We also offer genetic testing and counseling and prostate cancer support groups.
- Personalized attention: Your needs are our No. 1 priority. We evaluate your health to tailor a treatment plan just for you. We always consider the least invasive (but still effective) treatment approach first, to minimize prostate cancer treatment side effects.
- Care for all prostate problems: In addition to cancer, we diagnose and treat all problems affecting the prostate. Noncancerous conditions we see include prostate enlargement (prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH) and prostate inflammation (prostatitis).
- Clinical trials: We’re the only center in Brooklyn participating in cancer clinical trials for prostate cancer medications. You may be able to try an alternative therapy before it’s available to the general public.
Our Team Approach to Prostate Cancer
Our prostate cancer team takes a coordinated approach, ensuring you get the best recommendations for your needs. Our care includes:
- Range of experts:
- Medical oncologists
- Radiation oncologists
- Fertility specialists
- Erectile dysfunction specialists
- Multidisciplinary tumor conference for team members to meet and discuss your tests results and diagnosis. The team works together to develop a treatment plan that best fits your unique situation.
- Urologist on-site 24/7 and a care team that’s readily accessible if you experience treatment side effects.
To make an appointment at the Maimonides Prostate Center, call 718-635-PROS (7767) or request an appointment online.