Reconstructive Breast Surgery in Brooklyn, NY
The Division of Plastic Surgery at Maimonides Medical Center offers a variety of breast reconstructive options based on your individual needs and condition. Our plastic surgeons will spend time with you during each consultation to help you make an informed decision regarding your best reconstructive options.
Successful breast reconstruction after cancer surgery requires close collaboration between the reconstructive surgeon and the breast surgeon. The goal of our plastic surgery specialists is to rebuild and help restore the look of a natural breast. For minimal scarring, our plastic surgery specialists work closely with breast surgeons to plan their procedures where the scars are designed to be as cosmetically acceptable as possible.
Maimonides Medical Center offers both implant-based and autologous reconstruction. Autologous reconstruction involves microvascular and muscle-sparing procedures and advanced techniques using your own tissue to create a natural looking breast. Microsurgical procedures offered include:
- Deep inferior epigastric perforation (DIEP) flap: This procedure allows the microsurgical team to use the patient's abdominal tissue for breast reconstruction, without causing weakness in the abdominal wall or in the abdominal muscle.
- Superficial inferior epigastric artery (SIEA) flap: Fat, skin and blood vessels from your lower abdomen are used to create a new breast mound.
- Muscle sparing TRAM: Involves removing the rectus abdominus (the muscles that help you do a sit up) and the skin and fat surrounding it for reconstruction.
- Superior gluteal artery perforator (SGAP) flap: The breast is reconstructed from the skin and fat, but no muscle, of the patient's upper buttocks.
- Inferior gluteal artery perforator (IGAP) flap: Uses fat and skin from the lower buttock to create a new breast mound. No muscle is used.
- Transverse upper gracilis (TUG) flap: In order to create a new breast, skin and minimal muscle are taken from the patient's thigh.
- Latissmus dorsi flap: Muscle and skin from the patient's upper back are used to reconstruct the breast.
Find out more and speak with a specialist.
Call 718-765-2570 to make an appointment with a breast cancer specialist or request an appointment online today.