Positive Parent Satisfaction
Mary Rojas, PhD
Director, Pediatric Research
Patient and Family feedback is critical to understanding the quality of care we provide. Think of it, many people first turn to a review when making a purchase decision of what to buy, where to do, where to eat, who to see. So why not find out how users of our programs and services feel and rate their experience. Nationally patient satisfaction (the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) ) surveys have been administered for years. In fact, formal public reporting is mandated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). These ratings are shared with the public, potentially affect your hospital's reputation and standing in the community it serves, and will be used in calculating your value-based purchasing payments going forward.
HCAHPS serves the public’s interest in improving the quality of care in America’s hospitals by providing consumers, healthcare professionals, and hospitals with standardized and comparable information on how patients view their quality of care experience. HCAHPS furnishes valid and reliable information on several critical aspects of the hospital experience on a continuous basis.
In addition to gaining valuable information about your own care processes, participating hospitals are able to compare with other hospitals and the industry as a whole on exactly the same indicators. The ongoing and standardized nature of the survey also allows hospitals to track changes in patient perspectives on care over time. This survey is administered to a random sample of patients discharged from all service areas of the hospital each month.
At the Maimonides Infants and Children’s Hospital monitoring and responding to patient and parent feedback is a part of our self-assessment and improvement program. We look at this data by service area on a quarterly basis. We focus on the ratings of the standardized questions, but also on the specific comments that parents submit. Below is a sampling of parent comments.
- THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORKING DOCTORS AND NURSES, GOD BLESS THEM.THEY WERE COURTEOUS AND ATTENTIVE. THEY WERE COMMUNICATING WITH ME VERY WELL.
- THEY WERE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE AND WERE ALWAYS AVAILABLE IF I HAD QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.
- THIS WOULD BE THE ONLY HOSPITAL I WOULD SEND EITHER OF MY CHILDREN TO EVEN IF THE NUTRITION IS NOT COVERED BY THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE OF THE KIND OF CARE. THEY TOOK CARE OF MY DAUGHTER AND KEPT ME ASSURED THAT SHE WOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF. I WAS BORN IN THAT HOSPITAL AND I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS AND TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE CHILDREN.
- MY BABY RECEIVED THE BEST CARE WHEN HE WAS IN THE NICU. THE NURSES AND THE DOCTORS DID EXTREMELY WELL AND I'M THANKFUL TO THEM.
- EVERYTHING WAS SUPER GOOD, WELL ATTENDED, EVERYTHING CORRECT. NO PROBLEM.
- WE WERE VERY SATISFIED, VERY IMPRESSED.
- WELL, I AM REALLY THANKFUL FOR THE CARE THAT THE GAVE US, TO ME AND TO HER, WHILE WE WERE IN THE HOSPITAL.
- THE NURSES WERE GREAT.
- I WAS VERY SATISFIED WITH THE CARE MY DAUGHTER WAS GIVEN. I WAS PARTICULARLY SATISFIED WITH THE NURSES' ATTITUDE AND THIS JOB IS VERY CHALLENGING, AND THAT IS SOMETHING I REALLY WANTED TO GET ACROSS.
- I LOVED THE ATTENTION AND THEY WERE VERY KIND WITH ME.
- THEY GAVE EXCELLENT CARE. EVERYONE WAS VERY HELPFUL. IT WAS THE BEST CARE WE RECEIVED THERE.
- I WOULD SAY DURING MY SON'S STAY, THE CARE HE WAS GIVEN WAS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND I WOULD SAY THE STAFF CONDUCTED THEMSELVES WITH CARE AND CONCERN, AND I WOULD RECOMMEND THE HOSPITAL.
- THEY TREATED MY SON REAL WELL. MY SON IS VERY WELL THANKS TO THE ATTENTION THAT THEY GAVE HIM IN THE HOSPITAL.
- YES. I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD EXPERIENCE, EVERYONE WAS HELPFUL.
- THE ICU CREW WAS FABULOUS.XXXXX WAS IN ICU FOR 11 WEEKS AND 1 DAY. HE WAS TREATED WELL. THE STAFF IS EXCEPTIONAL.
- IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. I WAS HAPPY WITH THE TREATMENT THEY GAVE HER.
- WE GOT VERY GOOD SERVICES. GOOD SERVICES.
- I FELT THAT IT WAS EXCELLENT. THE DOCTORS AND THE STAFF WAS EXCELLENT. HE WAS NOT AFRAID AT ALL.
- IT WAS PERFECT. THERE WASN'T ANY INCONVENIENCE AND I FELT VERY RELAXED AND CALM WITH THE DOCTOR'S CARE SHE PROVIDED FOR MY DAUGHTER.
- I LIKED THE ATTENTION THEY GAVE THE BOY. WHEN HE HAD PAIN HE TOLD THE NURSES AND THEY GAVE HIM THE MEDICINE TO TAKE AWAY THE PAIN.
- IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. NOT THE SURGERY OF COURSE, BUT HOW EVERYTHING WENT.
- JUST THAT IT WAS PHENOMENAL.
- THE NURSING STAFF WAS REALLY FANTASTIC. EACH OF THE NURSES THAT CARED FOR MY CHILD, I WAS IMPRESSED. THEY SHOWED COMPASSION TOWARDS MY CHILD AND ALL THE CHILDREN THERE. THE ENVIRONMENTAL STAFF WAS COURTEOUS. I APPRECIATED THE CLEANLINESS. THE EMERGENCY ROOM DEPARTMENT WAS VERY NICE AND HELPFUL.
- I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF THEM.
- THE NURSES WERE VERY NICE AND CONSIDERATE.
- I JUST WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERY STAFF IN MAIMONIDES. THEY WERE VERY PROFESSIONAL AND CARING.