Director, Pediatric Medical Genetics
Planning for the Family
At the Maimonides Infants & Children’s Hospital, we believe that knowledge of genetics empowers pediatricians, patients and parents to make informed decisions. It is estimated that two to three percent of all pregnancies result in a child with a birth defect, mental retardation and genetic disease. Although many of these problems are obvious at birth, some only become evident later in childhood or even into adulthood.
Some common reasons for a referral to medical genetic services include: if a pregnant woman is concerned about the possibility of having a child with a serious medical condition; if a child has a medical or learning problem; or if someone belongs to an ethnic group which is known to have a higher incidence of a certain genetic disease.
The Maimonides Infants & Children’s Hospital offers expert, comprehensive genetic screening, diagnosis, and counseling services for children and adults, as well as prenatal testing. We have an outstanding staff of board-certified professionals in the field of clinical and molecular genetics, and genetic counseling. Our team follows a multidisciplinary approach to care, and works closely with specialists from pediatrics and obstetrics. When evaluating children, we deliver care that is child-friendly, in an environment created just for them, in order to reduce their anxiety.
We offer a number of services including:
Why Choose Us
- Highly regarded and comprehensive genetic division
- Board-certified professionals in clinical and molecular genetics, and genetic counseling
- Outstanding reputation for genetic diagnosis and screening
- Education, training and support for the child and family
- Evaluation and delivering of care in a child-friendly environment
- Compassionate care for the child, family, and prenatal patients
- The Premier Brooklyn Hospital
If you would like more information about genetic evaluation and why it's important, please visit our "frequently asked questions" section by clicking here.