|Volunteer Services Dept
915 49th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11219
Our corps of volunteers represents one of the largest volunteer departments in New York City. Maimonides volunteers speak dozens of languages and reflect the rich ethnic and religious diversity of our community and city. Together with our community partner organizations, volunteers bring to Maimonides the warmth of a kind word, a smile, and a helping hand to our patients. It may not be “medicine,” but it is powerful.
Many volunteers work here as part of career exploration or job preparation activities. Others participate to fulfill academic community service requirements and some simply to share their talents with others in need. Each gives selflessly and models for all of us the best in human nature.
We are deeply grateful for the contributions of our volunteers and community partner organizations. Every day they help our patients and make it possible for us to realize our vision: Passionate about medicine. Compassionate about people.
Become a Volunteer
Nechama Singer, a volunteer at Maimonides, shares her story
Who Are Our Volunteers?
- Volunteers at Maimonides are bright, enthusiastic and generous individuals who give their time and energy to help others.
- They are a diverse group. Our volunteers speak more than 45 languages, reflect the varied ethnic and religious groups in our community, and range in age from 14 to 90+.
- Volunteers may be students learning about healthcare careers, adults gaining practical experience while completing internships, retirees seeking new challenges, or busy homemakers and business people who make time to give to others.
Would You Like to Volunteer?
The Department of Volunteer Services would be pleased to discuss volunteer opportunities with you. You can request an application form and questionnaire by contacting us. Once we review your documents, qualified candidates we will be invited for an interview to discuss how we can best match your interests with our needs.
Prior to assuming responsibilities at Maimonides, all volunteers must have medical clearance and must complete an orientation program and any specialized training required for a chosen position. A meal voucher for the hospital cafeteria and discounted parking garage privileges are provided.
Volunteers provide valuable assistance to staff throughout the medical center in various settings, such as nursing units, Emergency Room, offices, administrative and support service departments.
- Clerical/Administrative volunteers assist with general office duties such as filing, copying, performing computer data entry, answering phones, etc.
- Volunteer Patient/Unit Assistants assist with clerical duties at the nursing station and perform some direct patient care functions such as feeding and keeping companionship to the patients.
- ER volunteers provide companionship to lonely and anxious patients, escort patients and visitors to and from various areas within the Medical Center, assist staff with meal distribution, perform errands and deliver messages.
- Volunteers in research areas such as Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Endocrinology, Hematology/Oncology, GI, ID, etc. participate in clinical research under the supervision of the principal investigator and perform other related duties as assigned such as computer data entry, literature search and data collection.
- Support Service volunteers assist staff in the main kitchen, cafeteria, laundry, warehouse, patient transport, etc.
- Chaplaincy Volunteers (Chevrah Kadishah, Catholic Volunteers, etc.) assist patients with religious needs.