Click to watch Dr. Borgen's video profile
Dr. Patrick I. Borgen is Chair of the Department of Surgery at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, New York. He also heads the Brooklyn Breast Cancer Center at the Maimonides Cancer Center – the only dedicated cancer center in Brooklyn. Dr. Borgen was recruited from Memorial Sloan Kettering, where he served as Chief of Breast Services, Head of the Breast Cancer Research Laboratory, and Director of the Breast Cancer Disease Management Team.
Dr. Borgen has received numerous research grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, the US Army and the National Cancer Institute. Widely published in peer-reviewed publications, Dr. Borgen is on the Editorial Board of Annals of Surgical Oncology, and on the Peer Review Board of The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). He is Guest Editor for: Surgery, Annals of Surgery, The Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Breast Diseases, Breast Diseases Quarterly, The Breast Journal, The Lancet, Archives of Surgery and Journal of Clinical Oncology. He is editor of three major textbooks on breast disease, and has contributed chapters to 15 other texts. To date, he has published over 200 articles in peer-reviewed journals, 139 abstracts and 15 editorials.
Dr. Borgen has been Chairman of the American College of Surgeons Breast Cancer Trials Group, as well as a Member of the Executive Board of Directors of the American Society for the Study of Breast Disease. He is currently on the Executive Boards of the Breast Cancer Alliance, Inc. and of Tulane University, and a member of the American Joint Committee on Cancer, Breast Task Force.
- Horseback riding
- Best Doctors in America, Castle Connolly Guide, 2002-2008
- Best Doctors in New York, New York Magazine, 2003-2008
- Who's Who in American Medicine" Harper & Row, 1997-2002
- Vincent Feliciano Memorial Lecturer; Harvey Lecturer 2002, American Association of Cancer Educators, Toronto; Lawson Memorial Visiting Professor, East Tennessee State University Johnson City, TN, November, 2002
- Foundation Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 1998
- Molin Foundation Award, April 1993 Grant Period, 1993-1994
- Jarrell Memorial Traveling Fellowship Award, American College of Surgeons, 1989