High national and state rankings, most advanced heart procedures, stunning new cardiac units – mean better outcomes for patients
(April 2012 – Brooklyn, NY) The Cardiac Institute at Maimonides Medical Center recently achieved a series of milestones in delivering excellent care. National rankings of patient outcomes released by the federal government confirm those provided by independent health care analysts at HealthGrades, and the most recent New York State data further reinforce the good news for heart patients. By multiple published standards for quality of care, the Maimonides Cardiac Institute is among the best in the nation, including these prestigious designations:
- CMS Ratings – The federal government’s Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services annually publishes mortality data; the most recent figures show that the Maimonides Cardiac Institute ranks 8th for heart failure and 9th for heart attack patient outcomes.
- HealthGrades Rankings – For 2012, the Maimonides Cardiac Institute received Five-Star ratings for Cardiology and Coronary Interventional procedures for the tenth straight year, and once again received the Cardiac Care Excellence Award.
- NYS Data – The state of New York was first in the nation to annually publish mortality data for cardiac patients; this year’s numbers once again reflect the Cardiac Institute’s unrivaled expertise in interventional procedures (e.g., angioplasties and stent implantations).
The physicians at the Cardiac Institute are not resting on these laurels; instead, they continue to explore the latest medical and surgical approaches to solving cardiac health problems in their patients. In addition to outstanding diagnostic work and medical treatment, groundbreaking procedures are performed every day in the Cardiothoracic Operating Rooms (CT ORs), the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory (Cath Lab) and the Electrophysiology Laboratory (EP Lab). Recent milestones include:
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs) are mechanical pumps that help people with weak hearts or heart failure. After it is implanted into the chest, the LVAD helps pump blood from the lower left chamber of the heart to the rest of the body. An LVAD can be implanted as a long-term treatment for heart failure, especially in a patient too frail to be a good candidate for a heart transplant. It may also be implanted temporarily in patients who are waiting for a heart transplant or to support the patient’s heart until it becomes strong enough on its own. The heart surgeons who were first in the nation to implant these devices are now at Maimonides; the first-in-Brooklyn LVAD surgery was successfully performed in March.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) is an innovative approach to the treatment of severe narrowing of the aortic valve opening. Instead of open heart surgery, a balloon catheter is placed in the femoral artery (in the groin) and guided into the heart. A compressed heart valve is then placed in the catheter and directed inside the diseased aortic valve. Once in position, the balloon is inflated to secure the valve in place. This procedure is for patients suffering from aortic stenosis who are considered at high risk for surgery due to advanced age or other serious illness.
The renowned clinical experts at the Cardiac Institute would not be able to perform these advanced procedures without state-of-the-art facilities and advanced technology. Maimonides is in the process of opening stunning new units to accommodate these therapies for patients, including:
- New Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) – already opened and fully-operational, this unit provides telemetry and specialized nursing care for the most vulnerable cardiac patients, until they are strong enough for the Cardiac Step-Down unit.
- New Hybrid OR – designed for the collaboration of cardiac surgeons and interventional cardiologists, this suite represents the future of heart care and will open in June.
- Expanded Electrophysiology (EP) Lab – EP requires more capacity due to growing demand for pacemakers and implanted defibrillators, in addition to studies that help diagnose the most complex cardiac cases.
The Maimonides Cardiac Institute is one of the most comprehensive cardiac centers in the nation, offering invasive and noninvasive, medical and surgical, adult and pediatric care. Nationally acclaimed physicians perform more than 10,500 noninvasive procedures, more than 5,000 invasive procedures in the Cath Lab and EP Lab, and 700 surgeries in the CT ORs each year.
To access videos of our recent milestone procedures, patient testimonials, and more information about the outstanding care provided by the Maimonides Cardiac Institute, visit www.maimonidesmed.org/cardiac.