Varicose veins are abnormally swollen, twisted, or painful veins that have filled with blood. They usually happen in the legs.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your varicose veins.
What to ask your doctor about varicose veins; Venous insufficiency - what to ask your doctor; Vein stripping - what to ask your doctor
What are varicose veins?
- What causes them? What makes them worse?
- Do they always cause symptoms?
- What sort of tests do I need if I have varicose veins?
Do I need to treat my varicose veins? If I do not treat them, how quickly will they get worse? Are there serious complications or problems if I do not treat them?
Are there medicines that can treat my varicose veins?
What are compression (or pressure) stockings?
- Where can I buy them?
- Are there different types?
- Which ones would be best for me?
- Will they get rid of my varicose veins, or will I always need to wear them?
Which procedures for varicose veins do you perform?
- Heat ablation or laser ablation?
- Vein stripping?
Questions to ask about different procedures for varicose veins are:
- How does this treatment work? When would it be a good choice for treating my varicose veins?
- Where is this procedure done? Will I have any scars? What are the risks?
- Will my varicose veins come back after this procedure? Will I still get new varicose veins on my legs? How soon?
- Does this procedure work as well as other treatments for varicose veins?
Review Date: 3/14/2009
Reviewed By: David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2009 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.