Hip or knee replacement - after - what to ask your doctor
You had surgery to get a new hip or knee joint while you were in the hospital.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your new joint.
What to ask your doctor after hip or knee replacement; Hip replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee replacement - after - what to ask your doctor; Hip arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor; Knee arthroplasty - after - what to ask your doctor
How long will I need to use crutches or a walker after I go home?
- How much walking can I do?
- When can I begin to place weight on my new joint?
- Do I need to be careful about how I sit or move around?
- Will I be able to walk without pain? How far?
- Will I be able to do other activities, such as golf, swimming, tennis, or hiking?
Will I have pain medicines when I go home? How should I take them?
Well I need to take blood thinners when I go home?
How can I get my home ready before I even go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home? Will I be able to get out of bed
- How can I make my home safer for me?
- How can I make my home easier to get around?
- How can I make it easier for myself in the bathroom and shower?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
- What should I do if there are steps that go to my bedroom or bathroom?
What are the signs that something is wrong with my new hip or knee? How can I prevent problems with my new hip or knee?
How do I take care of my surgical wound?
- How often should I change the dressing? How do I wash the wound?
- What should my wound look like? What wound problems do I need to watch out for?
- When do sutures and staples come out?
- Can I take a shower? Can I take a bath or soak in the hot tub?
Review Date: 3/7/2009
Reviewed By: David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2009 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.