You have had a concussion, a mild brain injury. It can affect how your brain works for a while.
Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your concussion.
What to ask your doctor about concussion - adult; Brain injury - mild - what to ask your doctor - adult
What type of symptoms or problems will I have?
- Will I have problems thinking or remembering?
- Will I have a headache?
- How long will the symptoms last?
- Will all the symptoms and problems go away?
Does someone need to stay with me?
- For how long?
- Is it okay for me to go to sleep?
- If I go to sleep, does someone need to wake me up and check on me?
What type of activity can I do?
- Do I need to stay in bed or lie down?
- Can I do housework? How about yard work?
- When can I begin to exercise? When can I start contact sports, such as football or soccer? When can I begin skiing or snowboarding?
When can I go back to work?
- What should I tell my boss about my concussion?
- Can I work a full day?
- Will I need to rest during the day?
What drugs can I use for any pain or headache? Can I use aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), or other similar drugs?
Is it okay to eat? Will I feel sick to my stomach?
When can I drink any alcohol?
Do I need a follow-up appointment?
When should I call the doctor?
Review Date: 3/7/2009
Reviewed By: David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2009 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.