n June of 1910 a small group of neighborhood women gathered at the Borough Park home of Olga Lewinsohn to talk about the needs of their growing, mostly poor, working class, Jewish immigrant community. In that year, they created the New Utrecht Aid Society. Its certificate of incorporation articulated the society's original purpose – "To obtain funds by voluntary subscription, the proceeds thereof to be devoted to furnishing food, fuel and clothing, as well as other necessities of life, to the distressed and needy poor, without regard to race, creed or color." It was not long before it became apparent that they needed to expand their vision and create a dispensary to meet the medical needs of the community. The women set to work raising the funds needed for its creation.
Download Chapter | PDF