Chief, Thoracic Surgery
Director, Minimally Invasive
General Thoracic Surgery
Director, Pulmonary Medicine
Director, Computed Tomography
Lung Cancer Screening Program
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death for men and women worldwide. With few symptoms in its early stages, many instances of lung cancer are discovered only after they have spread throughout the body, making it more difficult to treat.
The Maimonides Lung Cancer Screening Program focuses on high-risk individuals (see risk factors below) who choose to be screened prior to the development of any symptoms. Early detection allows for a comprehensive treatment plan that is more likely to result in a cure. It also provides peace-of-mind for a high-risk individual.
The Maimonides Cancer Center is a state-of-the-art facility located in the heart of Brooklyn, offering minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment modalities. The Center’s thoracic surgeons and imaging specialists possess a unique expertise in lung cancers and utilize advanced low-dose CT imaging equipment.
To find out if you qualify for a screening, please complete our brief online questionnaire and a staff member will be in touch with you. For further information, please email us or call (718) 283-2059.
About the Screening
Specialized CT scans allow our specialists to diagnose lung cancers at their earliest and most treatable stages. The 15-minute screening uses radiation levels significantly lower than those of a diagnostic CT. Research by the National Lung Cancer Screening Trial has shown that this exam, which finds tiny lung spots years before they would appear on a regular chest x-ray, reduces death from lung cancer by 20% for high-risk patients.
Our low-dose CT imaging equipment detects early lung cancers, as well many non-cancerous abnormalities in the lungs unlikely to ever result in a malignancy, such as small scars, lymph nodes or enlarged blood vessels. Some of the findings from your screening may be “indeterminate”, meaning that they may or may not be cancerous. As a precaution, these nodules may require further evaluation with follow-up scans or, in rare cases, biopsies and other procedures.
You qualify for the screening if you are:
- 55 years or older with a smoking history of at least 30 “pack years” (packs per day multiplied by the number of years you have smoked)
- Currently smoking, or quit within the last 15 years and feel healthy
Risk Factors for Developing Lung Cancer
If you have one or more of the following risk factors, the Maimonides Lung Cancer Screening Program can help you:
- Cigarette smoking: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, tobacco use accounts for 90% of all lung cancers. The more years and packs-per-day you have smoked, the greater the risk of developing cancer.
- Exposure to cancer-causing agents: If you have been exposed to high levels of certain agents, such as asbestos or radon, you have an increased risk of lung cancer.
- Significant exposure to second-hand smoke.
- A history of other types of cancer.
- Lung scarring: Some diseases, such as certain types of pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or emphysema, can create trauma within the lungs which increases the likelihood of developing lung cancer.
- Family history: A first-degree relative, such as a parent or sibling, who has had lung cancer increases your risk.
What is the Cost?
Lung cancer screenings at Maimonides Medical Center are covered by under First Dollar as per the Affordable Care Act. There is no cost to the patient.